Tuesday, February 08, 2011

Stupid Girl

"Just because you like to lead doesn't mean he wants to dance. Some traditions are born of nature and last through time for a reason."
(Behrendt, 2004)

What is the line between appropriate effort and carrying a relationship? This is usually one of the big challenges for me. I think I do too much. I try to make everything perfect, and I am starting to realize that it really tends to backfire. I found myself driving the other day, obsessing over my actions in this pseudo relationship I have with my most recent ex, and I felt myself getting uptight and stressed. And then I told myself, "Let it go."

By that I mean I have to let go of my inherent need to understand everything in this relationship and how to fix it and how to make it last. I have to just sit back and let it be. I need to just enjoy this at face value because there might not be much more to it. I guess it's like a toy in a way; some are educational and teach a child how to practice in the many rolls required of us in life, and some are just to have fun and make us smile.

I need to just breathe and smile.

Jen